A proposal has been presented by the Government of the Balearic Islands to hire experts without teaching qualifications to teach vocational training classes, as well as specialists to teach at the Official School of Languages and artistic education centers. This measure is being taken as an urgent response to the lack of teaching staff in the education system.
5 Things You Need To Know
– The Government of the Balearic Islands plans to create a pool of experts and specialists without teaching qualifications to fill teaching vacancies and substitutions in vocational training, language schools, and artistic education centers.
– Professionals from the private sector with sufficient technical training will be able to teach vocational subjects, even without certified teaching qualifications, under the title of “expert teacher”.
– Additionally, professionals without teaching qualifications, such as the teaching master’s degree, will be able to teach at language schools and artistic education centers as “specialists”.
– Teacher unions have been urging the Government to provide legal solutions to address staffing shortages by utilizing these non-traditional teaching figures authorized by the Ministry of Education.
– The Balearic Islands currently have 167 teaching positions to be filled, with vacancies being most prominent in Ibiza and Formentera, not only in vocational training, language schools, and artistic education but also in secondary and high school education. The situation is exacerbated by retirements and limited spaces for training new teachers at the University of the Balearic Islands.