IbizaPreservation Foundation has announced plans to expand its project to eradicate and prevent the entry of snakes in Formentera. The environmental organization aims to create an “early eradication protocol” for snakes and expand the existing project “Protegim ses Sargantanes”.
5 Things You Need To Know
- IbizaPreservation will work on a project to eradicate and prevent the entry of snakes in Formentera.
- The high density of horseshoe snakes in Ibiza and the significant traffic between the islands pose a threat of accidental translocation.
- Finding a significant number of snakes near the port of La Savina highlights the possibility of their naturalization in Formentera, which could have disastrous consequences for lizard populations.
- Formentera is considered an ideal destination to join the “Plastic Free” initiative and promote the elimination of single-use plastics, positioning the island as a sustainable tourist destination.
- IbizaPreservation will also offer scholarships for vulnerable youth to participate in diving camps and provide workshops for hotels to reduce plastic waste.
For a deeper read, the best article we have found on this news item is here.