5 Things You Need To Know
– The Minister of Mobility of the Formentera Council, Verónica Castelló, stated that the free passes and multi-trip tickets approved by the central government in the 2023 budget were intended for recurring travelers to attract users, however, they are currently being given to all service users, regardless of whether they are residents, non-resident workers, or tourists.
– The Mobility department does not consider occasional bus users, such as tourists visiting the island for a few days, as recurring travelers.
– The decision to remove the total free public bus transportation, starting from September 1st, was made by the current government team, based on reports from the technical and legal services of the department.
– The previous government team committed to covering the entire cost of the discount with the bus contract for this year, using the budgeted 429,000 euros and additional funds from Formentera.eco and sustainable mobility.
– By August 1st, 32.2% of the budget remained, but the technical services of the Mobility department concluded that maintaining the discount for all service users would deplete the budget by October due to increased kilometers traveled this year.
For a deeper read, the best article we have found on this news item is here.